Lenten Midweek Sermon 2 - I Lay My Sins on Jesus - 2020

Stanza 1
606 I Lay My Sins on Jesus
I lay my sins on Jesus,
    The spotless Lamb of God;
He bears them all and frees us
    From the accursèd load.
I bring my guilt to Jesus
    To wash my crimson stains
Clean in His blood most precious
    Till not a spot remains.

Homily 1
“I Lay my sins on Jesus” was the first of nearly 600 hymns to be written by Scottish pastor Horatius Bonar. He once commented on this hymn, saying: “it might be good Gospel, but it’s not good poetry.” He was right, the rhyme is a bit forced, but this hymn is just dripping with the Gospel.
Pastor Bonar actually wrote this hymn as a song for children, and he titled it: “The Substitute.” He wrote this hymn in order to teach the vicarious atonement of Christ, that Jesus takes our place as our substitute, and suffers on our behalf so that we might be forgiven. He also appended to the hymn Isaiah 53:5, in order to ground us in the firm faith that Christ is our substitute: “He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon Him, and with His stripes we are healed.” 
As we sing this hymn, let us learn to become again like little children to whom belong the kingdom of heaven. Let us learn to once again ask that profoundly simple little question: why? Each stanza begins with a statement, to which we should ask: why? “I lay my sins on Jesus…” Why? Because He is the spotless Lamb of God.
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned - every one - to his own way.” Our sin is great, especially our sin against the first commandment. We have often strayed from our Lord, failed to trust in Him, and have turned to our own gods, our own idols, trusting in them more than in His protection. 
With the Coronavirus panic recently, people have turned to help from the government, the World Health Organization, the news, the CDC, extra personal safety precautions, and across America church attendance was significantly lower the past few weeks. Instead of turning to the Lord, instead of receiving the medicine of immortality, instead of being comforted and strengthened by the Word, instead of prayer and trusting in the Lord for our good health, we turn to man for help and forget God. Instead of trusting in our baptism by the water and the word, we trust in our baptism by hand sanitizer. 
Now it’s good to wash your hands and practice good general hygiene, do that. But there’s something much more important to deal with, and that’s not the danger of germs, but the danger of our sins. Jesus says “There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” What is it that comes out of a person that defiles him? “From within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.” Germs are not your biggest concern; sin is.
Praise God, that your Lord has laid upon Christ the iniquity of us all. “He was smitten by God, and afflicted...like a lamb that is led to the slaughter.” He, the spotless, sinless, Lamb of God bears all of our sins and frees us from their accursed load. 
If you’ve washed your hands, good! But now more importantly, bring Him your guilt so that He might wash your crimson stains! In His most precious blood He washes you clean till not a spot remains! 


Stanza 2
I lay my wants on Jesus;
    All fullness dwells in Him;
He heals all my diseases;
    My soul He does redeem.
I lay my griefs on Jesus,
    My burdens and my cares;
He from them all releases;
    He all my sorrows shares.

Homily 2
Just as we are to lay our sins on Jesus, so ought we to lay our griefs and cares upon Him as well. Why? Because He shares our sorrows. Little did young pastor Bonar know that his hymn would be so great a source of comfort to him as he would wind up burying five of his own children who died early in life.
Jesus cares for us. “Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows.” Not only does He bear the burden of our sins, but He carries the sorrows we have on account of the fruits of sin in this life. The crucified Christ not only comes to forgive you, but to comfort you. He, the Good Shepherd, says to His flock: “Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Do you have wants and needs? All the fullness of God dwells in Christ and He hears your every need! Are you ill or injured? He is your great physician! Are you grieved, burdened, and filled with cares? He promises to release you from them all! Are you sorrowful, even unto death? So was Christ, and He now shares in your sorrows with you, weeping right beside you.
Is your soul weary and tired from these cares? Are you worried about sickness and death? Are you afraid of Coronavirus or some other disease? Then rest upon Christ. His right hand, His arm of strength embraces you and bears you up lest you strike your foot against a stone. Like the apostle whom Jesus loved, so does your Lord love you and invite you to rest in Him. He is our Immanuel, God with us. We shall be with Him, not only today and tomorrow, but with Him amid the heavenly throng singing His praises and learning the angels’ song.

Stanzas 3, 3.1
I rest my soul on Jesus,
    This weary soul of mine;
His right hand me embraces;
    I on His breast recline.
I love the name of Jesus,
    Immanuel, Christ, the Lord;
Like fragrance on the breezes
    His name abroad is poured.

I long to be like Jesus, 
   Meek, loving, lowly, mild;
I long to be like Jesus,
   The Father’s holy Child.
I long to be with Jesus
   Amid the heav’nly throng
To sing with saints His praises,
   To learn the angels’ song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Defense of Headcoverings

The Fruit of the Womb are a Reward - Algona Newspaper Article

Sermon - Irene Frederiksen Funeral - 1 Peter 1:3-9